If you’re sick of just eating scrambled eggs for breakfast, I’ve got a treat for you today.
Let’s take those boring scrambled eggs and turn them into crispy breakfast egg rolls.
These breakfast egg rolls are beyond delicious, and you don’t even have to deep fry them!
By using the air fryer, these crispy egg rolls can be ready in just 6 minutes.
Each breakfast egg roll contains 195 calories and 14g of protein, making it a very filling breakfast option. Just two of these egg rolls will give you 28g of protein, which is a great way to start the day.
The best part about egg rolls is that, much like a burrito, you can stuff it with whatever you’d like!
Not only that, but you can also dip these egg rolls in a countless number of sauces to really change things up.
Let’s get into it.
How to make breakfast egg rolls in the air fryer
While you can certainly play around with different ingredients for these breakfast egg rolls, you must start with egg roll wrappers.
I found these egg roll wrappers in the refrigerated section of my local grocery store, but I’ve also seen some options in the freezer section, too.
When I first tried to make a version of these egg rolls a while back, I used rice paper to form the egg rolls, and that did not work. It’s important to note that rice paper (AKA what is used for spring rolls) is very different from egg roll wrappers.
Egg roll wrappers are thicker, and it’s the key to accomplishing a crispy egg roll. If you go with rice paper, you will not achieve much of a crisp.
Once you have your wrappers, you have to choose your filling! I kept it classic with scrambled egg, bacon (center cut bacon specifically), and American cheese.
You can swap the bacon out for sausage, use shredded cheddar cheese, substitute eggs for egg whites, or any number of changes.
You can also add some , onion, or any other vegetables to these rolls.,
Nonetheless, the process will look the same:
- Add a small amount of cheese to your egg roll wrapper. In my case, I used roughly half of one slice of cheese.
- Take some of your scrambled eggs and cooked bacon and add on top of the cheese.
- Sprinkle some hot sauce and seasoning over the eggs.
- Roll the egg roll wrapper up tightly to cover the filling.
- Fold the sides of the egg roll wrapper in.
- Brush the final corner of the egg roll wrapper with a small amount of egg wash to help keep the egg roll sealed shut.
- Brush the egg roll with an egg wash and sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning.
- in your basket, leaving room between each egg roll.
- Air fry at 400 degrees F for 6 minutes, flipping around 4 minutes to crisp up the bottom.
And you’re done!
These breakfast egg rolls should come out crispy and golden brown every single time.
The extra egg wash on top might not feel necessary, but it makes a very big difference (as I learned with my Protein Bagel Recipe). Here’s how my first batch turned out without the egg wash on top:
As you can see, the color is much more pale and dry-looking. The flavor was still great, but it was definitely missing something.
Once I brushed each egg roll with a small amount of egg, it elevated these significantly.
These look just like deep-fried egg rolls, but there is absolutely no oil used whatsoever.
What to serve with breakfast egg rolls
These breakfast egg rolls contain all of your favorite breakfast items in one, so they hold up completely on their own as a full breakfast.
But an egg roll is not complete without a dipping sauce!
My favorite way to eat these breakfast egg rolls is by combining some sugar-free syrup with hot sauce to create a sweet & spicy dipping sauce.
If you want an equally delicious option, I also love these breakfast egg rolls with hot honey. Trader Joe’s version has specifically been my favorite lately.
These egg rolls are packed with flavor, so you may not even need a dipping sauce, but if Chick-fil-A has taught us anything, it’s that dipping sauce makes everything better.
Or feel free to lather these up with some sausage gravy instead. I won’t judge.
More breakfast recipes for breakfast lovers
If it were up to me, every single meal of the day would consist of breakfast food. If you’re anything like me, here are some more recipes on my blog you’ll absolutely love:
- Protein Bagels
- French Toast with 50g Protein
- Brioche French Toast Breakfast Sandwich
- Fluffy Protein Pancakes with Only 3 Ingredients
- Deliciously Crispy 3-Ingredient Churro Waffles
- Hashbrown Crust Breakfast Pizza
Crispy Air Fryer Breakfast Egg Rolls
Crispy breakfast egg rolls take only 6 minutes in the air fryer and are the perfect way to switch things up for breakfast! Each egg roll has 14g of protein, making it a great protein-packed option.
Makes 5 Breakfast Egg Rolls. Scale up or down as needed.
- 5 Egg Roll Wrappers (Note: these are thicker than rice paper AKA spring roll wrappers)
- 5 Eggs
- Splash of Milk
- 6 Strips Center Cut Bacon
- 2 Slices Fat-Free American Cheese, or any shredded cheese you prefer
- Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Fry your bacon in a pan until crispy. I like to dice the bacon up and cook it in a hot pan to speed the process vs frying full strips, but any method works. If you really want to speed things along, use bacon bits instead.
- Remove the bacon onto paper towel and carefully discard your bacon grease.
- In a bowl, whisk 5 eggs with a splash of milk. Add most of the whisked egg to the pan over low-medium heat, but leave a small amount of egg mixture in the bowl to use as an egg wash for your breakfast egg rolls.
- Scramble the eggs until firm, but still slightly runny (these will finish cooking inside the egg roll wrappers so they don't need to be fully cooked).
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F while you form the egg rolls to make sure the air fryer gets nice and hot- this is the key to a good crisp!
- At half a slice of cheese to your egg roll wrapper, or about 1-2 tablespoons of shredded cheese, then a small amount of eggs and bacon, then top with some hot sauce (optional). See photos above this recipe card as a reference for how much filling to use in these egg rolls to avoid overstuffing.
- Roll the egg roll (like a burrito) and brush the end of the egg roll wrapper with egg to make sure it stays sealed shut (see photos above). Once rolled, brush the top with some egg and sprinkle your everything bagel seasoning over the top.
- Spray your air fryer basket with cooking spray and add your egg rolls, being sure to leave space between them.
- Air fry at 400 degrees F for 6 minutes, flipping after 4 minutes to crisp the bottom.
- These breakfast egg rolls are best served fresh. If you need a simple dipping sauce, I like to mix syrup with hot sauce to create a sweet & spicy sauce, but hot honey also works great.
- If you do not have an air fryer, you can cook these breakfast egg rolls in a baking sheet in the oven, but they will not crisp up nearly as well. Unfortunately, I did not test this so I do not know the cooking time.
- If you want to bring the calories down a bit, you can use egg whites or egg substitute.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge to reheat throughout the week. These egg rolls can also be frozen if wrapped tightly in foil.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 5 Serving Size 1 Egg Roll
Amount Per Serving Calories 195Total Fat 7gCarbohydrates 18gProtein 14g
Saturday 16th of July 2022
These were so good! I just needed something quick and easy for work. I ended up substituting ham for bacon and it was amazing!