What if I told you that you could whip up an entire batch of mini pizza bagels in just 30 minutes completely from scratch?
All you need are a few staple ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry.
In fact, you don’t need any yeast to make these mini pizza bagels!
For this recipe, we’re going to use my Protein Bagel recipe, which creates bagels using a combination of self-rising flour and Greek yogurt. There’s an option to use some unflavored protein powder to bump the protein content up as well, but you can stick with the ease of the 2-ingredient dough if you prefer.
Instead of forming regular bagels, we’re going to form them into adorable mini bagels.
Then all that’s left to do is top them with some pizza sauce, cheese, and seasoning, and we’ve got ourselves some delicious bagel bites.
Bagel bites were a staple back in the 90’s, and this recipe takes me right back.
I mean, when pizza’s on a bagel, you can eat pizza any time.
How to make mini pizza bagels
This is a simple recipe, but like all recipes, I like to leave you with all the notes you need to succeed.
The obvious difference here, of course, is that we’re going to form the dough into smaller bagels to create our homemade bagel bites.
If you’ve made my bagel recipe before, these are going to be a breeze for you.
The bagels here are “2 ingredients” because they utilize self-rising flour, which is simply all-purpose flour mixed with baking powder and salt.
If you have that, your life will be nice and easy. However, I know many people don’t just have it laying around, so the recipe card below includes what you’ll need to do with regular flour instead. Don’t worry, it just means adding a little baking powder and salt.
The second ingredient of the mini bagels is plain nonfat Greek yogurt. When combined with the flour, it acts as a leavening agent so we don’t need to mess with any yeast. Don’t worry, I promise you cannot taste the yogurt in the bagels at all.
Mix up those ingredients into dough, then break it up into 10 dough balls.
You can make as few or as many plain mini bagels as you want. I went with 10 mini bagels to make 20 bites (since we will be slicing them in half), but you can adjust if you want.
There are two options for baking these mini bagels: the oven or the air fryer.
Since these are mini bagels, they will only take 6 minutes in the air fryer at 350 degrees F. If you prefer to bake them in the oven, bake them at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes.
Before you bake these mini bagels, it’s important to give them a quick egg wash (brushing the tops with egg). Look at the photo above to see the difference in color between a mini bagel with an egg wash (left) and a mini bagel without an egg wash (right).
You don’t have to brush these with egg before baking, but as you can see, it makes a big difference in appearance.
Since we’re slicing these in half, it won’t be detrimental. But if you’re anything like me, you’d much rather have them be beautiful and golden.
Once the bagels have cooled for a few minutes, slice them in half to create your 20 mini bagel halves.
Now, the fun part: topping your mini pizza bagels.
You can get creative with your , but I kept mine classic with , , and .
Three-cheese is a popular bagel bite variety, so feel free to throw in some cheddar cheese or Monterey jack cheese as well.
When it comes to topping my , I don’t completely cover up all the , but I find that the melts down to be the right amount for me.
Add your sauce and mozzarella cheese, then broil these mini pizza bagels for 4-5 minutes until the cheese has melted.
You can throw these back into the air fryer to melt the cheese as well, but I find that broiling works best because it prevents the bagel itself from becoming too toasted.
If you want to add additional , you can add , sausage, or vegetables to your , just be sure they are chopped up to fit onto the mini bagels.
How to reheat mini pizza bagels
If you make a large batch of mini pizza bagels and don’t want to eat them all right away, they can be saved for later in the week.
Store your mini pizza bagels in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and when you’re ready to eat them, simply heat them up in the microwave for 30-60 seconds (depending on the size of your portion).
When you reheat these bagel bites in the microwave, they end up tasting just like the bagel bites we enjoyed as kids.
If you want some easy prep for the week, there’s no more delicious way to do it than with mini pizza bagels. Whether you want to enjoy these as a main dish or a quick snack, it’s the perfect way to meal prep.
You can freeze these mini pizza bagels as well, and they’ll keep for months in the freezer. Just make sure they are wrapped up in a sealed freezer bag, then microwave or bake them to your liking when you’re ready for a quick & easy lunch!
More recipes for pizza lovers
Clearly, you’re a person of great taste. If you love pizza as much as I do, here are some other recipes from my blog worth checking out:
- Neapolitan Style Pizza Crust
- How To Make Homemade Pizza With Trader Joe’s Pizza Dough
- Simple Sourdough Pizza Crust
- Healthy & Easy Pizza Muffins
- Hashbrown Crust Breakfast Pizza
- 180g Self-Rising Flour
- 180g Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- Few Dashes Garlic Powder
- 1 Egg for Egg Wash (Optional)
- 80g Pizza Sauce
- 70g Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Garlic Powder & Oregano
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt, self-rising flour, salt, and garlic powder until dough forms. You can use your hands to bring it all together as well.
- Break the dough up into 10 roughly equal-sized pieces, then lightly knead each in your hands to create a smooth dough ball.
- Use your palms to roll each ball out and form them into a mini bagel shape. Pinch the edges together, then flip the bagel over to make sure the edges are fully combined. Continue until you have 10 mini bagels.
- Place the mini bagels on a baking sheet and brush the tops with an egg wash. You can omit the egg, but it is what gives the bagels a nice golden brown top.
- Bake the mini bagels at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes. If you prefer the air fryer, these can be air fried at 350 degrees for 6 minutes.
- Once the mini bagels have cooked, allow them to cool for about 5 minutes before slicing each in half.
- Spoon some tomato sauce onto each bagel half and top with cheese. Broil in the oven for about 4 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and slightly browned.
- Remove from oven, top with garlic powder & oregano (or whatever seasoning you'd like) and dig in!
- When it comes to broiling, make sure the oven rack is as close to the broiler (the top of the oven) as possible to quickly & easily melt the cheese. It may require sliding the baking sheet a little bit to the side depending on how spaced out your pizza bagels are.
- You can store leftover mini pizza bagels in the fridge and microwave them for a quick and easy snack or meal.
- If you want to create a slightly higher protein version of these pizza bagels, you can substitute 30 grams of the flour for 30 grams unflavored protein powder.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 20 Serving Size 1 Bagel Bite
Amount Per Serving Calories 45Total Fat 0.5gCarbohydrates 7.5gProtein 3g