What if I told you that you could whip up an entire batch of mini pizza bagels in just 30 minutes completely from scratch?
All you need are a few staple ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry.
In fact, you don’t need any yeast to make these mini pizza bagels!
For this recipe, we’re going to create some infamous 2-Ingredient Bagels, which are a combination of self-rising flour and Greek yogurt, to form mini bagels bites.
Then all that’s left to do is top them with some pizza sauce, cheese, and seasoning, and we’ve got ourselves some delicious bagel bites.
Bagel bites were a staple back in the 90’s, and this recipe takes me right back.
I mean, when pizza’s on a bagel, you can eat pizza any time.
How to make mini pizza bagels
This is a simple recipe, but like all recipes, I like to leave you with all the notes you need to succeed.
To make this recipe, we’re going to follow the same exact instructions that we follow in my other bagel recipes, such as my Protein Bagels or Healthier Cinnamon Crunch Bagels.
The obvious difference here, of course, is that we’re going to form the dough into 8 smaller bagels to create our bagel bites.
If you’ve made my bagel recipe before, these are going to be a breeze for you.
The bagels here are “2 ingredients” because they utilize self-rising flour, which is simply all-purpose flour mixed with baking powder and salt.
If you have that, your life will be nice and easy. However, I know many people don’t just have it laying around, so the recipe card below includes what you’ll need to do with regular flour instead. Don’t worry, it just means adding a little baking powder and salt.
The second ingredient of the mini bagels is plain nonfat Greek yogurt. When combined with the flour, it acts as a leavening agent so we don’t need to mess with any yeast. Don’t worry, I promise you cannot taste the yogurt in the bagels at all.
Mix up those ingredients into dough, then break it up into 8 pieces.
You can make as few or as many plain mini bagels as you want. I went with 8 mini bagels to make 16 bites (since we will be slicing them in half), but you can adjust if you want.
As you can see from my photo, they’re not all the same size, and they are far from perfect. But we’re slicing these and then topping with sauce and cheese, so I don’t mind the imperfections.
If you want to be strict about the sizes, you can weigh the entire ball of dough, then divide that by 8.
We’ll be air frying these mini bagels, but you can bake them in the oven as well.
Since these are mini bagels, they will only take 6 minutes in the air fryer at 350 degrees F. If you bake them, I would bump the oven temperature up to 375 degrees F and bake for closer to 7-8 minutes instead.
Before you bake these mini bagels, it’s important to give them a quick egg wash (brushing the tops with egg). Look at the photo above to see the difference in color between a mini bagel with an egg wash (left) and a mini bagel without an egg wash (right).
You don’t have to brush these with egg before baking, but as you can see, it makes a big difference in appearance.
Since we’re slicing these in half, it won’t be detrimental. But if you’re anything like me, you’d much rather have them be beautiful and golden.
Topping the mini bagel bites
You can get creative with your , but I kept mine classic with , , and .
I used to exclusively use low-fat or fat-free cheese, but I’ve since moved on from that.
When you use whole milk mozzarella, it melts significantly better.
If you want to go low-fat, you certainly can. But let’s look at this recipe using this delicious whole milk mozzarella cheese I used.
One serving is 90 calories. This recipe calls for 1.5 servings, which is 135 calories. Since this recipe makes 16 servings, the cheese is adding just over 8 calories per bite, which is negligible.
You can choose a cheese that’s 60 calories per serving, but in the end, it’s only saving you less than 3 calories per bite. I’ve had great success with Trader Joe’s Lite Mozzarella, but that’s the only low-calorie alternative I would recommend.
When it comes to topping my , I don’t completely cover up all the , but I find that the melts down to be the right amount for me.
Once you add the bagel bites back to the air fryer (or broil in the oven) the cheese will melt down plenty.
But hey, if calories are not a concern for you and you just want delicious pizza bagels, feel free to add extra cheese!
If you want to add additional , you can add , sausage, or vegetables to your , just be sure they are chopped up to fit onto the mini bagels.
More recipes for pizza lovers
Clearly, you’re a person of great taste. If you love pizza as much as I do, here are some other recipes from my blog worth checking out:
- Neapolitan Style Pizza Crust
- How To Make Homemade Pizza With Trader Joe’s Pizza Dough
- Simple Sourdough Pizza Crust
- Healthy & Easy Pizza Muffins
- Hashbrown Crust Breakfast Pizza
Mini Pizza Bagels Ready in Just 30 Minutes
With just a few staple ingredients, we can whip up a batch of mini bagels from scratch and turn them into mini pizza bagels in under 30 minutes!
- 120g Self-Rising or All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder (omit if using self rising flour)
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 130g Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- Few Dashes Garlic Powder
- 1 Egg for Egg Wash (Optional)
- 60g (Approx. 1/4 Cup) Pizza Sauce
- 42g Shredded Mozzarella
- Garlic Powder & Oregano
- In a large bowl, mix together your bagel ingredients (not including the egg) and use a silicone spatula to continue mixing until a dough forms. You can use your hands to bring it all together as well.
- Divide the dough into 4 roughly equal-sized balls, then divide each ball in half for a total of 8.
- Use your palms to roll each ball out and form them into a mini bagel shape. Pinch the edges together, then flip the bagel over to make sure the edges are fully combined. Continue until you have 8 mini bagels.
- Place the bagels in the air fryer and brush the tops with an egg wash. You can omit the egg, but it is what gives the bagels a nice golden brown top.
- Air fry at 350 degrees F for 6 minutes. If you do not have an air fryer, you can bake these in the oven at 375 degrees F for 6-7 minutes.
- Remove from the air fryer and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Once cooled, use a serrated knife to cut each mini bagel in half, then place on a baking sheet.
- Spoon some of the sauce onto each bagel and top with cheese. Broil in the oven for about 3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and slightly browned.
- Remove from oven, top with garlic powder & oregano (or whatever seasoning you'd like) and dig in!
- I chose to finish these in the oven on broil to melt the cheese without over-baking the rest of the bagel. You can throw these back into the air fryer if you'd rather.
- When it comes to broiling, make sure the oven rack is as close to the broiler (the top of the oven) as possible to quickly & easily melt the cheese.
- You can make the mini bagels ahead of time and freeze them, then prep some bagel bites whenever you'd like!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 16 Serving Size 1 Bagel Bite
Amount Per Serving Calories 40Total Fat 0.5gCarbohydrates 6gProtein 2.5g
Stephanie Santa Rosa
Wednesday 20th of January 2021
I FRIGGIN love pizza bagel bites and was very excited at the opportunity for a healthier option. I made these a few weeks back and loved them. Now I make a batch to keep in my freezer!