If I’m going to an Italian restaurant, I’ll be ordering chicken parmesan 99% of the time.
I mean, is there any better way to serve chicken than to bread it, lightly fry it, and cover it in cheese?
As a matter of fact, there is: you serve it on some lightly toasted Italian bread.
By using my Air Fryer , we can easily make a decadent in no time at all.
This isn’t necessarily a low-calorie sandwich, but just look at the size of it! I have a very large appetite, and this chicken parm sandwich filled me up a ton.
While the whole sandwich contains just under 600 calories, it also has 45g of protein, which makes it a great way to hit your daily protein goals.
If you do want to bring the calories down a bit, I’ll include plenty of tips in the recipe for ya below.
How to make a juicy chicken parm sandwich
For this particular recipe, I used a leftover chicken cutlet I had in the fridge from my Air Fryer Chicken Cutlet recipe.
The are a very simple comprised of sliced & . I use Italian-style that already contain and other Italian seasonings.
Unlike my Air Fryer , we don’t need to use any to make the – we’re keeping it simple!
I love to prep this chicken in bulk for meal prep throughout the week, so I make them ahead of time to easily reheat.
If you want to make the fresh, simply follow this exactly as-is to make the , then come back here for the rest of the instructions.
To make these sandwiches, you’ll first need a fresh roll. A chicken sandwich is only as good as the bread you choose.
For my , I used a 4oz roll that I found at a local market. You can get creative with any type of , roll, or you’d like here.
I’ve made this with a brioche as well, and it worked out great.
It’s just like a fried , but Italian-ized!
I lightly toast the with a little butter, but if you want to take this to the next level, use a little bit of to make quick as your .
Aside from the , the other ingredients you’ll need are and .
You’ll most often see to use. Instead, I used this meaty from Trader Joe’s. paired with , but I didn’t have any
Any works great here, and you can use any to top the .
Simple add your cooked to the air fryer basket, add the over the top, then the .
Air fry at 380 degrees F for 5 minutes, or until the is fully melted and the is heated through.
The exact time will vary based on your air fryer and the size of the cutlet used, so you can adjust accordingly.
I like to top the with some and before adding it to my lightly toasted .
For good measure, I also sprinkle a little extra over the top of the , because extra is always welcome.
I like to slice this in half, not to share (don’t be silly), but to be able to easily dip it into some or marinara sauce on the side.
Can you make a with no air fryer?
I love using the air fryer for these sandwiches because it’s very simple and does not require waiting for the oven to heat up. But you can absolutely make these in the oven instead.
Using any on a and bake in the oven until the is melted and the is heated through., you can assemble the
I recommend 425 degrees F for about 5 minutes or so.
You can also use the microwave in a pinch, but I much prefer the that the air fryer or oven accomplishes.
- 1 Large Chicken Cutlet (from my Air Fryer Chicken Cutlet recipe)
- Italian Bread Roll (French bread or Ciabatta bread also work great)
- 50g Tomato Sauce
- 28g (1/4 Cup) Lite Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese for topping
- Follow the instructions for making simple air fryer chicken cutlets in my recipe here. I like to make these ahead of time to have them to reheat throughout the week, which is what I did for this sandwich! If you are making the chicken cutlets fresh, they only take 10 minutes to cook, so they'll be ready in no time.
- Take your breaded & cooked chicken cutlet, add it to your air fryer basket, and top with a layer of tomato sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Air fry at 380 degrees F for about 5 minutes, until the mozzarella cheese is melted and the chicken is heated through.
- Take your roll (or bread) and lightly spray the tops with cooking spray, then toast them to your liking. You can use a toaster, a stovetop pan, or even the air fryer to toast it up!
- Add your chicken parm to the roll, top with some parmesan cheese and parsley, and enjoy.
If you make the chicken cutlets fresh, you will only need a minute or two in the air fryer to melt the cheese right on top. My chicken cutlet was refrigerated, so it took about 5 minutes to fully heat.
If you prefer to use the oven, assemble the chicken parmesan on a baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees F for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the chicken is hot.
The nutrition facts for this sandwich reflect the exact ingredients I used, and it will vary based on what you choose to go with. Here are the specific ingredients for my sandwich:
- One chicken cutlet (about 5-6 oz)
- Trader Joe's Bolognese Sauce
- Trader Joe's Lite Mozzarella Sauce
- 3oz Bread Roll
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size Whole Sandwich
Amount Per Serving Calories 585Total Fat 12.5gCarbohydrates 72gProtein 45g