If you want deliciously fluffy pancakes in the morning but don’t have the time or energy to whip up a full stack of pancakes, you’re in luck.
As long as you can spare one minute, you can enjoy an incredible pancake every morning.
Whether you need a quick breakfast for your busy mornings during the work week or for your lazy weekend mornings, these mug pancakes are absolutely perfect.
To kick things up a notch, we’re going to use a high-protein pancake mix to start our day off right.
But don’t worry, you can easily use any pancake mix for this one if you have a strong preference. But trust me: you’re going to want to use this pancake mix…
What’s the best pancake mix for a pancake in a mug?
There are so many pancake mixes out there, so how do you choose which kind of pancake mix you should use?
Well, as long as it’s a “just add water” mix, it will work for this mug cake recipe! However, they will certainly not all taste the same.
You can use a well-known mix like Bisquick or Pearl Milling Company, but we want to enjoy some extra protein in our pancake mix mug cake.
One of the most popular protein mixes out there is Kodiak Cakes, but I’m here to introduce you to your new favorite pancake mix.
In fact, this is MY protein pancake mix that I personally formulated in my own kitchen.
I partnered with PEScience to bring this protein waffle & pancake mix to life, and I am SO proud of it.
I truly believe that this is the best-tasting protein pancake and waffle mix out there, and it can hold its own in a taste test against any pancake mix (not just the high-protein mixes).
All you need to do is add water and it will make incredibly fluffy pancakes or crispy waffles. And in this case, it will make a moist, fluffy pancake in a coffee mug.
Give it a try for yourself and use the code “Matt” to save you 10% on your order.
I promise you will not regret it.
How to make a microwave pancake in a mug
Making this delicious breakfast could not be any simpler.
Take a microwave-safe mug or small bowl and spoon pancake mix directly into it.
We’re going to have 1/2 cup of mix, which is a standard serving for pancakes.
Stir cold water directly into the mix until it forms pancake batter. There is no need to use any cooking spray for this, either- we’ll be enjoying it right out of the mug.
Before cooking the pancake, make sure that there is enough room in your microwavable mug or bowl for the pancake to expand. The pancake will nearly double in size as it cooks (and then deflate back down slightly as it cools) so you want to make sure you do not create a mess.
Microwave your mug pancake on high for one minute. The exact cooking time will depend on the wattage of your microwave, so you may need to adjust the cook time slightly, but I’ve found one minute to be the perfect amount of time.
The pancake will cool pretty quickly, and then you’ll be ready to dig right into your new favorite microwave recipe.
If you prefer classic plain pancakes, you can top your pancake with some maple syrup and you’ll be good to go.
But if you want to switch things up the next time you make this recipe, you can also stir in some blueberries to make blueberry pancakes, banana to make banana pancakes, or toss in a handful of chocolate chips to make some chocolate chip pancakes.
Get creative and make this mug pancake recipe your own!
More recipes for breakfast lovers
This breakfast mug cake comes straight from my “Ultimate Protein Breakfast Recipe Book” which you get for free when you purchase PEScience protein pancake mix.
Not only did I formulate this mix, but I put together the e-book with 60+ ways to enjoy the mix. This microwave pancake recipe is the easiest recipe of them all, but you can enjoy SO many delicious breakfast recipes in a matter of minutes thanks to the e-book.
Grab yourself some protein pancake mix to get the recipe book, and make sure you use my code “matt” to save yourself some money and to let them know I sent ya.
In the meantime, if breakfast is what you want, then breakfast is what I will give you.
Here are some more protein-packed breakfast ideas for you:
- Protein Powder Pancakes
- Easy Vegan Pancake Recipe
- High-Protein McGriddle Sandwiches
- Protein Overnight Oats (10 Ways)
- Fluffy Protein Cinnamon Rolls
- 1/2 Cup (63g) PEScience Protein Waffle & Pancake Mix (code "matt" to save)
- 1/3 Cup Cold Water
- Syrup for Topping
- Add your pancake mix to a large mug (or small bowl) and mix in the water until a batter forms.
- Make sure you use a mug or bowl that is large enough for the pancake to roughly double in size while it cooks. It will expand quite a bit in the microwave and then deflate slightly as it cools.
- Microwave the pancake for 1 minute, although you may need to adjust the time slightly depending on your microwave and mug. A fork or toothpick should come out clean when it’s done.
- Top with syrup and/or fresh fruit and enjoy right out of the mug!
- PEScience protein pancake mix is my product that I personally formulated, and I truly believe it is the best-tasting protein mix out there. It rivals any pancake mix out there, protein or not! Give it a try- I promise you will not be disappointed. Use the code "matt" to save 10% on your order.
- That being said, you can use any pancake mix you want! As long as it's a "just add water" mix, it will make a great pancake in the microwave.
- If you want to make your own pancake mix from scratch, give my 3 ingredient protein pancakes a try.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 Mug Pancake
Amount Per Serving Calories 240Total Fat 6gCarbohydrates 28gProtein 15g