Matcha has exploded onto the scene recently, and for good reason. The health benefits are undeniable. And if it’s prepared correctly, a matcha latte can be damn delicious!
If that’s the case, shouldn’t a matcha latte in waffle form be delicious too? Why, yes. Yes indeed.
This recipe took me 4 tries to get right, but I’m finally happy with the result. The taste has been great from the beginning, but they were just so dang dry every time. But, I was determined to make this recipe gluten free!
Luckily, I finally succeeded, and we have here a delicious, high protein, gluten free waffle!
The base is a combination of oat flour (if you don’t have oat flour, you can use a food processor to make your own from dry oats) and protein powder. These two ingredients tend to bake really dry, so every combination yielded a really dry waffle. That’s not a problem if you’re drowning it in syrup, but I honestly prefer to eat my waffles without any syrup.
Because of that, I worked canned pumpkin into the recipe. I know, it might sound gross to you. But I promise you cannot taste it at all. Pumpkin is one of those magical ingredients, and it lends a ton of moisture to the waffle, so we get the end result that we want!
- 21g Vanilla Whey Protein (roughly 3/4 Scoop)
- 20g Oat Flour
- 1 tsp (4g) Matcha Powder
- 5g Sugar Substitute
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 dash Salt
- 1 Large Egg
- 60g Canned Pumpkin
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- In a large bowl, mix together all of your dry ingredients. Oat flour tends to clump up, so you want to make sure everything is blended together well before you add your wet ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together your egg, pumpkin, and vanilla extract.
- Add your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and mix well. The batter will be thick, but that is what we are going for! If it seems way too thick, feel free to add a splash of unsweetened almond milk, but we definitely don’t want to make the batter too thin.
- Now, plug in/turn on your waffle iron. It’s important to let your batter sit, which is why we want to turn the waffle maker on after creating the batter. You’ll notice some bubbles on the surface as you let it sit. That’s what we want!
- Once heated up, generously spray your waffle iron and pour your batter in. *Note: usually we do not want to fill the waffle iron to the edges, because waffles will expand and spill out the sides. But this batter is going to be nice and fluffy and spongey and won’t create a mess. Check out my photo below as proof!
- Remove from waffle maker and enjoy! Top with anything you like- I prefer dry, but syrup is always a welcomed addition.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size Entire Waffle
Amount Per Serving Calories 265Total Fat 7gCarbohydrates 21gFiber 4gSugar 4gProtein 26g
- You can use another protein powder, just make sure it’s a vanilla flavor you really like. The Bowmar Frosted Cookie tastes so good, and it combines with the matcha to create a really smooth latte flavor.
- The infamous “protein waffle” can be made with one scoop of Bowmar Nutrition, one egg, and one tsp of baking powder. If you wanted to do that route, you can simply add your matcha powder right to that and call it a day! Personally, I prefer my waffles to have more structure to them and be more like an “authentic” waffle, which is why we have a few more ingredients in this recipe.
- Make sure you are using a quality waffle maker. If you’re like me, you will use it ALL THE TIME. Once I finally got a high quality waffle maker, my life was forever changed for the better. This is the one I have, and I cannot tell you how amazing it is.
*** The carb total of this recipe may be slightly higher than listed if you count the sugar substitute in the total count, but I do not count the carbs in Swerve sweeteners. When it comes to sugar substitutes, some people like to count the carbs, but I do not- since it is zero calories, the impact of those carbs is negligible.
want early access to future recipes?
Join The Stack Pack below to get my recipes a day before they’re released, along with other special announcements and exclusive giveaways!