I’m in the middle of a solo 10+ hour drive, so this post feels very much appropriate. Don’t worry, I’m not currently driving.
I don’t know about you, but when I’m stuck in the car, all I want to do is snack. If I pack myself lunch and a couple snacks for a long drive and put it on the seat next to me, it lasts all of 5 minutes. So these are some tips I use to stop myself from constantly eating in the car!
1) Make water your priority. It’s very easy to get dehydrated when we travel, so it’s important to drink water. Pee breaks will happen, but they’re worth it. Plus, drinking water will help to cut down on cravings.
2) Plan stops ahead of time so you know where/what you want to eat! For me, I always find a Wegman’s because it’s the happiest place on Earth. I may or may not be writing this from one (I am)
3) Keep your snacks out of reach. I like to keep them tucked away in the trunk, that way I can only grab myself a snack when I make a stop.
4) If you have a full bag of snacks next to you, it’s going to be pretty hard to stop. Portion out some food for yourself so you don’t demolish an entire bag!
5) When all I wanna do is snack in the car, I often turn to gum. More often than not, I just feel like eating but I’m not actually hungry, so gum does the trick!
6) And of course, just keep yourself busy! It’s easy to want to constantly eat when you have nothing else to think about. Use your time in the car to listen to a worthwhile podcast or audiobook, or call someone you haven’t spoken to in a while!
At the end of the day, it’s important to remember that snacking is totally acceptable. It’s part of the fun of a road trip in my eyes. But you don’t need to completely go off the rails and eat tons of junk food- use these tips to help you on your next long journey.