In most areas of our lives, we’re able to understand that perfection doesn’t exist. So why do we treat our diets differently?

We want to lose 1 pound every single week. If we don’t, we’re failing.

We need to hit our calories perfectly every day. If we overeat, we’re failing.

We need to workout for an hour every day. If we miss a workout, we’re failing.

This pursuit of perfection leads so many people to give up. When you feel like you’ve failed, it’s just so easy to quit.

Ask anyone who has successfully lost weight, and they’ll be the first to tell you that not every day leading up to hitting their goal was perfect. It’s about being consistent over a long period.

You’re going to miss workouts, you’re going to eat some extra snacks, you’re going to grab a drink with friends, you’re going to celebrate Taco Tuesday and Pizza Friday. That’s the human in you. It doesn’t mean you’re a failure, it means you’re living your life.

You need to stop chasing perfection and instead focus on the long term. It’s not about one day, one week, or even one month.

Being consistent over a long period of time is going to yield you far better results than trying to have the perfect diet in the short term.

Did you fall off track and not stick to your diet perfectly this week? That’s fine! Get back on track and stay focused on the long-term.

Life isn’t perfect. It’s going to throw curveballs at you. Your diet doesn’t need to be perfect, either.

Follow a program or diet that allows you to live your life and just focus on being consistent with it for the long term.

As you may have read, I’m all about the 80/20 rule. Allow 20% of your life and diet to be less than optimal. It will keep you sane!

If you’re unfamiliar, the 80/20 rule means eating “healthy” 80% of the time. The other 20% of the time you eat what you want without worrying about the health aspect. Of course, you don’t have to sit down and do the actual math of what 80% of your total calories equates to.

As a general rule of thumb, if you eat 4 times per day (3 meals and 1 snack), allow one of those meals or snacks to contain a food that may be less than optimal. Or, give yourself one day per week to eat some foods that you wouldn’t normally eat on a typical “diet.”

Results aren’t going to come from trying to adhere to a super strict diet perfectly.

They’re going to come from being consistent over a longer period of time, even if that diet isn’t absolutely perfect.

You’re going to have some bad days. You’re a human, and it happens. But remember, you do not need perfection. Perfection doesn’t exist.

You just need consistency.

Want more content like this?

Grab yourself a copy of my brand new e-book: The (Unofficial) Official Nutrition Guide! This e-book contains 150+ pages of everything you could possibly want to know about the basics of nutrition. We’re going to cut through all the nonsense and get right to the things that you actually WANT to know.

You might also like...